Oswego police and fire officials are continuing to investigate an explosion and fire that has shut down a row of businesses at an Oswego strip mall. (Hannah LeoneBeacon-News)
Oswego’s police and fire departments, along with a natural gas company, are continuing to investigate an explosion and fire that shut down two restaurants and a currency exchange in a strip mall on Douglas Road in Oswego..
The early morning fire caused significant structural damage to Mr. Beef & Gyros and a vacant storefront directly south of the restaurant, according to a news release from the Oswego Fire Protection District. Nearby Windy City Pizza sustained minor damage, officials said.
The pizza and gyro spots, along with the Fox Valley Currency Exchange on the other side of the vacant storefront, all had signs posted Tuesday stating they were closed, at least temporarily.
While Mr. Beef & Gyros was mostly boarded up, debris could be seen strewn about the business through a window in the door and a large chunk was missing from an exterior pillar built into the storefront. A yellow-orange paper notice from the Village of Oswego Building and Zoning Department taped to a large glass window on Windy City Pizza next door states that as of May 1 – Monday – it is not approved for occupancy.
"Smoke, structural damage. No water, gas, electric," read the inspector’s comments, written in all capital letters.
At about 3:50 a.m. Monday, Kendall County’s communications center got a report about a structure fire on the 300 block of Douglas Road in Oswego, according to the news release. They dispatched a general alarm to the Oswego Fire Protection District, calling for three engines, a ladder truck, two ambulances and a battalion chief. Two other chief officers also responded, according to the fire district.
Firefighters arrived to find the front blown out of two businesses and a small fire burning inside the building, according to the news release. They searched the building but found no people inside. As more units arrived, they extinguished the fire after the gas was shut off, according to the fire district.
Fire officials and the natural gas distribution company, NICOR, are conducting an investigation.
The Oswego Police Department’s investigation is open and no further information is available, said police spokeswoman Cathy Nevara.
No injuries were reported, and fire officials said they have not yet determined the monetary loss in the fire. Montgomery-Countryside and Bristol Kendall fire protection districts helped cover Oswego’s stations during the response to the fire.